- Becoming very selective and hiring only the perfect match.
- Using more consultants, freelancers, and temps to avoid paying for employee benefits and over-staffing.
- Delaying their hiring decisions or waiting longer to extend the offer since there is less competition around for job candidate.
- Deferring start dates by about 6 months to a year.
- Hiring less international students because TARP fund recipients are required to hire Americans before foreigners.
- Experimenting with new hiring methods to cut cost, such as using resume screening software, pre-recorded phone interviews, social networks, etc.
You’re hired – next year
How the recession has changed hiring